Friday, December 21, 2012

Post Title... (Moment of truce) This is my 100th post!!!!!!!!

Hey peeps,
I just had this random urge to write this post.
Okay, you caught me, it wasn't totally random, but it had a seriously long train of thought (most of my thoughts do) so if  I lose you, please, I tried my best.
I was listening to Safe & Sound (by Taylor Swift) and I remembered how it was played, like five times last year at our school'd fun fair and that it was so popular, and that now if I told people I was still listening to it, they'd be like, "Oh, I'm so sick of that song," or "You seriously still listen that song?" and bla bla bla, and then I thought of how we get something, use it for a bit, throw it out, then get something new, like the "golden arrow" cycle (extraction, production, distribution, consumption, disposal) and how it seems to go on forever, and how our use of media is similar to everyday objects.
So, here we are, after it took me five minutes to explain thirty seconds of my brain.
Zip, zip, zip.
Getting back on topic, I'm going to talk about our use of trends, by which I mean celebrities, music, clothes, etc., etc.
We take something, use it for a bit like it means the world, then throw it away. Ever think where it goes when it's no longer good enough for us? Well, they're misfit toys, forgotten names, forever trying to get back on top but they were left behind in the ever-changing world where things change every zeptosecond (glossary below).
It hurts, because I've been there. I've taken in, been used up, and thrown out. It hurts, because you thought you had something and then it's gone.
You never know what you have until it's gone.
We take something, use it up, and throw out. Again and again and again.
We see the surface. Things pop up to us, we look at it, and then we walk away.
It's like being the toy in the window. You're walking, see it, and at last it has hope for being accepted. But then you see something better in the clothes store next door, a shirt you'll probably wear for a bit, then it'll go out of season and will be never worn again, and you walk away. And that feeling of hope will never leave the toy, except, now, it won't feel so hopeful, more painful and spoiled.
We see things on the surface.
But the thing is, one of my biggest mottos (there are so many I can't choose one) is this: everything has a story behind it. Which is why I can see this. We see things as they come; we don't feel the feelings or the struggle, moments of greatness, moments of despair, and so much more that the used had gone through to get to the top. We don't see everything it could come to be.
Instead, we see the surface, and throw it away because it no longer entertains us.
We don't take things in, and really enjoy them. Everything has to be brand new, shiny, and better. We don't keep things in and really  enjoy them. I try to.
Which is why I'm currently listening to 2006 songs that I still love and enjoy even though I've listened to them a million times. They're still fun, great, in fact, they're some of my favorite songs in the world. Yes, they aren't new; yes, I've heard them millions of times; and yes, they're perfectly fine. I watch the same shows over and over and over because I love them. I read the same books over and over and over. And I talk about all these things with my friends, because I still love old things because they're well-worn, familiar, and they're great. I don't care if they're not brand new or whatever's "in season" this year- I like them, and I have the right to like them.
I take things in, treasure them, and keep them close to me forever.

Zeptosecond: one billionth of a trillionth of a second. Yep. That quick.
Please leave your comments about that! It would mean a lot- like the world (technically, though, there wasn't supposed to be a world anymore today...)
For those Francophones out there, I'm probably going to translate this post and out on my French blog, Notre Cote Du Monde (Sorry, no accents on my computer...) so read it! It'll probably be up in a couple of days at the most.
Yours in demigodishness and all that,
Peace out,
Honeybees

No comments:

Post a Comment